When travelling from the States, you need a separate insurance plan for travelling south of the Border. Here are the top reasons to have a professional look at a policy for you for your trip to Mexico:
1. Most auto policies written in the United States exclude Mexico.
2. The law in Mexico is based on the Napoleonic Code. Unlike the United States, Mexican Law is where guilt prevails over the presumption of innocence.
3. The basic difference between United States and Mexico’s financial responsibility laws is that anyone involved in an accident must respond to damages or injuries which they may be responsible. This is either cash or a Mexico auto insurance policy.
4. May reduce jail time. If a serious injury has not occurred, a Mexican insurance policy might help reduce the red tape and allow the motorist to be on their way soon rather than later. This is not to be construed as a ‘get out of jail card’ however it can help.
5. They can be set up for the duration of a trip or longer with just a phone call.